01 02 03 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: Delicious Egg Nests 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Delicious Egg Nests

34
I am still under the weather and trying to get better!
The beautiful MacKensie is sharing one her delicious Paleo recipes with you all today:



Hello WTF readers! My name is MacKensie and I blog here. I'm a huge goofball and I like to pretend I can cook sometimes. I recently completed the Whole30 challenge where I ate only non-processed meat, vegetables, fruits and nuts (with lots of other crazy restrictions) for 30 days straight. I have since fallen off the wagon, but during my health kick I learned a lot about my eating habits and even fell in love with the Paleo diet. I've experimented with so many different recipes, and today I'm sharing one of my most successful experiments thus far: Spinach Butternut Squash Egg Nests (which I originally found here, but with sweet potato).

Here's what you need:
a food processor
12-muffin tin
1 butternut squash
1 bag of frozen spinach
12 eggs (preferably cage-free, hormone-free)
1 T olive oil
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Sriracha


 Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F and then chop up your butternut squash. If you are anything like me (before this year I didn't even know what a butternut squash was) you might want me to elaborate on this. I had to google "how to cut a butternut squash" back in the day. First cut at the neck of the skinny part and the bulb at the end. Leave the bulb out of this for now (scoop out the seeds, like a pumpkin, wrap it in cellophane and use it another time. The neck should make plenty of squash for our purposes.) Then chop into thinner rounds and chop the skin off of each round individually. This is definitely the most annoying part about cooking with butternut squash, but it smells and tastes delicious! Proceed to chop into smaller pieces that will fit into the food processor.


Use the shredding attachment for the food processor and let it get all confetti-like.


Spray your muffin tins with some kind of oil (good paleo folks would use coconut oil or olive oil, however, I used canola because it's the only kind I had in a spray bottle). Then squish the confetti squash into each muffin hole (that just sounds dirty). Stick in the oven and bake for about 14 minutes.


Now heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Squeeze out excess water from thawed spinach and add to the skillet with the salt, pepper, and garlic and onion powder. Sauté until spinach is cooked through and it no longer looks like the desert.


Next layer in the spinach and the eggs. Return to oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, depending on how runny you want the yolks to be (I left mine in for about 10 minutes).


Use a butter knife to trace around the 'muffins' before trying to scoop it out. Add sriracha, take lots of photos and enjoy.


For more fun Paleo recipes, running posts and my silly life, be sure to visit my blog and say hi! I'll see ya there. Thanks for having me, Kristen!

xo

MacKensie


Labels: ,

35 36 37 38