01 02 03 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: Mila's DIY Reading Nook 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Mila's DIY Reading Nook

34
I have been dying to get Mila's toys out of the living room. The house always looks a mess and I feel like I'm constantly cleaning. So over the past few weeks, I've slowly moved all of her toys into her room, but felt like she needed a separate place to read books and play quietly. With the help of Pinterest I felt like a reading nook was an easy and affordable possibility.

The one thing I wanted for sure was a teepee, as they seemed to be all I was pinning lately....but couldn't see myself spending over 100$ for one and waiting a month for it to get here. Thanks to Ikea, garage sales, and Cutting Edge Stencils, I did this entire room for less than the price of buying a teepee online.






Is it not the cutest thing ever?! I want a room like this for myself. The teepee just needed wooden dowels, the fabric we made, twine, and a few decorative accents we got for cheap at the craft store! The black fabric around the top dowels is actually an old pair of black leggings I never wear. Everything else in the room we either bought used, bought for cheap at Ikea, or was re-purposed from other rooms we had in the house. It was beyond hard to find affordable fabric here. Which led to the idea of using a stencil and painting a flat sheet we had sitting in our closet.

I was very intimidated by the idea of using a stencil and painting the sheet that would literally be all you saw of the teepee. There's no going back and redoing once you have painted, so I was nervous my OCD would kick in and I would never be happy with the finished product. This was not the case at all as Cutting Edge Stencils made it super easy and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. The hardest part of the whole thing was choosing a stencil as there were 5 of them I was absolutely in love with. 

All you need to get started stenciling is:


Step one:
Dip your sponge in the paint. Use only a little at a time as you don't want the paint to bleed under the stencil, blurring your clean lines. Once you get going you'll know how much to use each time you dip the sponge.


Step two:
In a dabbing motion, start painting your design with the sponge.



Step three:
Align the stencil, overlapping the last row you completed. Continue painting until you have the entire sheet finished.



Voila! There you have it :) Our own custom fabric that we did ourselves. Way cheaper and more personal than buying fabric at the store. And this little nugget of mine is thrilled with her new room! We have been spending lots of time reading in her teepee and its the first place she runs to when we get up in the morning. 



For more ideas on what you can do with stencils and DIY projects, go to Cutting Edge Stencils Blog!


Labels: , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38